This page has moved to a new address.

POC Media Week 2: July 23 – July 29

Leonicka Valcius: POC Media Week 2: July 23 – July 29

Monday, July 30, 2012

POC Media Week 2: July 23 – July 29


I did much better this week. Sixteen hours of entertainment had diverse people/characters while seven hours did not. This supports my guess that the books I read and movies I watch are critical. The Olympics helped too.

I have a long queue of books but TV/movie suggestions are appreciated!

Kevin Hart videos:
Pass. For obvious reasons. (approx. 30 mins)

ClutchMagazine:
Pass. T
he content of this online magazine targets urban African-American women. (approx. 30 mins)

That’s So Raven:
Pass. I love
d this Disney channel show as a child!  Raven and her family are goofy and loving, and the show doesn't turn race into an "issue." (approx. 30 mins)
Who is Sugar:
Pass. Sugar is a super fabulous YouTuber.
Her vlog covers everything from fashion, hair, and beauty. Her cat Tiny co-hosts. (approx. 10 mins)

Pretty Little Liars:
Pass. Same as last week. (approx. 2
hrs)

Continuum:
Pass. A classmate suggested I watc
h this show. I’m not feeling it after the first three episodes (I’m not the biggest sci-fi fan; take those elements away and the show is kina meh.) but there is a fair bit of diversity in the cast. I expected more Asians though since the show takes place in Vancouver. (approx. 3 hrs)

Miguel Street by V.S. Naipaul:
Pass. This book highlights characters from a slum in Port of Spain, Trinidad. (approx. 2 hrs)

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce:
Fail. This is the story of one man and that man is white.  (approx. 4 hrs)

Olympics:
Pass. The house party section of the Opening Ceremony was full of win. June’s hair? *swoon* I love it. And of course the Parade of Nations was a gorgeous sample of the peoples of the world. I love the Olympics. :) (approx. 6 hrs)

The Fellowship of the Ring (movie):
Fail. There are no people of color in Middle-Earth. At all. Stop looking for them. No existen. (approx. 3 hrs)

A Time to Kill:
Pass. Movie set in Mississippi about a white lawyer defending a black man. Random fact: I saw a clip of this movie years ago and thought it was To Kill a Mockingbird. (approx. 2 hrs)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger The Busy Author said...

Just so you know, many of the Orks were played by Maori extras in Lord of the Rings. I think that's probably more bad than good. I hate it when all the good guys are one race and the bad guys another. But yeah, you'd think they could have cast a few Maori or Aborigines as elves or something.

The Southern (?) men (the ones riding Oliphants) all seem a little Arabic too. But again, bad guys. How is this helping? It's not.

Olympics? All about win. I've also noticed some black faces in sports where previously we haven't seen many too - swimming, diving etc used to all be very white but now it's a nice mix. Sports bore me, but the politics of the Olympics are fascinating.

And yeah, the girl's hair, and the boy with her phone? Double swoooooon.

Have you watched FRINGE? Also shot in Vancouver and also with a couple of actors of African descent in major roles. Not many Asians though, as you say.

July 31, 2012 at 1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home